Sunday, June 29, 2008

Native American Students Tour USC's Stadium

Columbia (WLTX) -- Students who live on the Northern Cheyenne and Croix Reservation in Montana took a trip to Columbia to learn all about college life and Gamecock football.

Learning about Gamecock football had a group of students from Montana pumped. The students toured and tested equipment and they check out the Gamecock's locker room. All the students live on the Northern Cheyenne and Croix reservation in Montana.

Lashon Two Two said, "My dreams are to get off the reservation. I want to go to college and play college basketball. I'm hoping I'll make it to the WNBA."

Lashon is only 14 years old, but she realizes there are major problems on the reservation. She said, "There are drug and alcohol problems right now.

We're trying to get rid of meth problems. "Many young girls are also becoming mothers. Lashon said, "My older sister who is 15 is pregnant. My friend, Linda is pregnant. They all got pregnant."

To help them beat the odds, their teacher Marcus Mcgill has taken them to several colleges this summer.

To qualify, they had to have good grades, good behavior and play at least three sports.

Marcus said, "We visit college campuses so hopefully when it's time for them to make a decision about school, things like this will make a big difference to them." It's already impacting Lashon.

She says college isn't an option. It's a must. Lashon said, "Now, I know I want to go to college, so far, the college I want to go to is North Carolina State."

Steaming video of this story available here.